+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Tinkering FAQ

  1. #1
    Keeper of cheese, useful things, and lost buttons
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    37
    Character
    Guild
    Server

    Default Tinkering FAQ

    The Tinkering FAQ
    by Didi

    1. What is tinkering?
    Tinkering is one of the secondary tradeskills that became available with the release of Echoes of Faydwer.
    According to Ebnix Cogsworth, Master Tinkerer, "Tinkering is the process created by gnomes many centuries ago. It was used to make the clockworks that served in the great city of Ak'Anon, as well as many devices that were used every day by tinkerers of auld."
    In more detail, tinkering is the art of making mechanical gadgets and gizmos to make life a little easier. You can create devices that will enhance your own abilities in combat; most of these can only be safely operated by yourself and other tinkers, however, as the mechanisms are far too complex for non-tinkerers to understand. Tinkering also allows you to make a few odds and ends for other people, mainly non-combat related ones such as crafting tools and fun items like spring-loaded gnomish stilts. A fair proportion of these are no-trade and must therefore be made for customers using the commission crafting system, which allows the tinkerer to give the customer careful personal instructions on how to use them without catastrophic results ensuing.

    2. How do I become a tinker?
    Good and neutral aligned characters can speak to Ebnix Cogsworth, located in Kelethin one platform west of the bank at /waypoint 418, 89, 241.
    Good, neutral, and evil aligned characters can speak to Karsh Cogsworth, located at the east side of the Butcherblock docks at /waypoint 637, 27, 595.
    In order to become a tinker, you must have the Echoes of Faydwer expansion, and you need to be at least a level 10 crafter in one of the primary tradeskills. (Edit: this may have been lowered recently, not yet confirmed the exact level requirement now.)

    3. Where are my tinkering tradeskill arts?
    Beside the tinkering trainers you will find a tinkering supply merchant. Tinkering merchants sell your tinkering books, but also sell tinkering tradeskill arts. We have four tinkering tradeskill arts - these are the only abilities we get and are never upgraded. They cost 19s 20c each from the merchant and are as follows:
    Ability: Test Run
    increases progress by 20 (costs power)

    Ability: Overhaul
    increases durability by 15 (costs power)

    Ability: Data management
    increases progress by 30
    decreases success chance by 11%

    Ability: Monkey With
    increases durability by 25
    decreases success chance by 11%

    Monkey With and Overhaul are on the same timer; Data Management and Test Run are on the same timer. This means you can only use two arts each round, one increasing durability and one increasing progress. Realistically, you will probably find you use nothing but Monkey With and Data Management, and ignore the others completely.

    4. Where are my recipes?
    Ebenezer Cogsworth in Kelethin sells the "Apprentice Blueprints" recipes which take you up to 110 tinkering skill level. Corianda Cogsworth at the Butcherblock docks sells the further "Dabbler's Blueprints" series (in addition to the "Apprentice Blueprints") which take you up to 210 skill. And Fizza Cogsworth, the tinkering merchant at the Gnomeland Security Headquarters in Steamfont Mountains, sells all the above plus "Experimenter's Blueprints" and "Master's Blueprints" that take the tinkerer up to 340 tinkering skill.
    In addition, there are a number of dropped recipes which you may be fortunate enough to find while adventuring, or find on the broker with a search for "blueprints". These appear to require rare harvests. Not all these recipes have been identified yet.

    5. What supplies do I need?
    Tinkering uses a LOT of loams of all tiers, plus quite a lot of ore, soft metals and gems. The exact number of each varies with the item, but loam is generally what you will be most short of. In terms of the harvests required:
    Tier 1: A typical tier 1 recipe uses 8-10 leaded loams, 8-11 lead clusters, 4 tin clusters, and 4-6 rough malachites, plus 4 coal, and returns lead clusters or malachite as byproducts.
    Tier 2 (starts at tinkering skill 50, though a couple earlier recipes require just iron and the rest tier 1 harvests): A typical tier 2 recipe uses 10-13 salty loams, 10-13 iron clusters, 4-6 electrum cluster, 0-9 rough turquoise, and 5 brown coal, and returns iron or turquoise as byproducts.
    Tier 3 (starts at tinkering skill 90): A typical tier 3 recipe uses 15 pliant loams, 0-10 agates, 6 gold clusters, and 1-15 carbonite, and returns agate (or occasionally carbonite).
    Tier 4 (starts at tinkering skill 145): A typical tier 4 recipe uses 18-20 supple loams, 20-23 feyiron, 0-14 opaline, 7-8 velium, and returns feyiron or opaline.
    Harvest amounts get increasingly greater as you progress in tier.
    All tinkered items are made on a jewellery workbench, using coal of the appropriate tier.

    6. What can I make?
    A list of the tinkered items that were available in beta can be found here. Note that it is not yet known whether all these items will be available on live.
    A list of what recipes are in which vendor-sold books on live is in section 9 below.
    The rare dropped book contents are not fully known yet.

    7. How do I use the commission crafting system to make someone a no-trade item?
    The commission crafting system is a little hard to find at first, but easy enough once you get the hang of it. First, you need to meet the customer in person, near a jewellery workbench.
    Open up your recipe book and find the recipe that the customer wants you to make. Select the recipe in your book. Now target the CUSTOMER, not the workbench, and click "Create". This opens up the commission crafting window. The customer will see a list of the items needed and has to place at least one item in the window - this can be raws, or coin for payment, or fuel.
    Once the customer has placed something in the window, both you and the customer can click "Accept". Your recipe list window will change to the crafting window that shows the ingredients for that recipe, and when you click "begin" the crafting process will start as normal. Once the item is complete, it will drop directly into the customer's inventory and you will receive whatever payment he placed in the window.

    8. How do tinkering levels work?
    Tinkering is a skill, like mining or swimming, and so your progression in tinkering is measured numerically. Like other skills, you can gain 5 points in tinkering per level. So 100 points in tinkering is equivalent to level 20. You can see your tinkering skill on your skills tab (press P, go to the Skills tab, and choose Tradeskill on the bottom tab).

    Your maximum achieveable level in tinkering is capped by your level in your primary tradeskill OR your adventure level, whichever is higher. So, for example, if you are a 50 provisioner/25 warden, you can reach the equivalent of level 50 in tinkering (50 x 5 = 250 skill). If you were a 25 provisioner/50 warden, you would have the same skill cap for tinkering.

    You have a chance at skilling up in tinkering whenever you make a finished item. In beta, there was a 50% chance of a skill up when you completed an even-con (white) recipe. It is possible this rate may be tweaked on live or in the future, plus of course the random number generator does have its evil uncooperative streaks, so individual mileage will vary.

    (to be continued)

  2. #2
    Keeper of cheese, useful things, and lost buttons
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    37
    Character
    Guild
    Server

    Default Re: Tinkering FAQ

    9. Recipe list and prices

    Skill level required to scribe indicated in brackets.
    Colour coding:
    yellow = doesn't require tinkering, isn't no-trade restricted, can be placed on broker
    green = no-trade item, must use commission system to make for others
    red = tinkerer-only usable
    white = haven't confirmed these ones yet (send more loam! )
    Vendor-sold books

    Apprentice Blueprints 0.001 (1) 4s80c
    • Automated finishing saw (Artisan: woodworker, tradeable) - 1% success chance increase
    • Automated rounding hammer (Artisan: armorer, tradeable) - 1% success chance increase
    • Miscalibrated gnomish crosstrainers (no class restrictions, tradeable) - clicky heal/movement speed chance
    Apprentice Blueprints 0.002 (20) 4s80c
    • Automated finishing hammer (Artisan: weaponsmith, tradeable) - 1% success chance increase
    • Gnomish cyclone generator of ultimate evil (tinkering 20, tradeable) - swarm pet
    • Mechanical threaded needle (Artisan: tailor, tradeable) - 1% success chance increase
    Apprentice Blueprints 0.003 (30) 4s80c
    • Reinforced gnomeproof beaker (Artisan: alchemist, tradeable) - 1% success chance increase
    • Troll snot flinger (tinkering 35, tradeable) - snare
    Apprentice Blueprints 0.004 (40) 4s80c
    • Gnomish ring press (Artisan: jeweller, tradeable) - 1% success chance increase
    • Gnomish self inking quill (Artisan: sage, tradeable) - 1% success chance increase
    Apprentice Blueprints 0.005 (50) 4s80c
    • Feng shui environmental reader (Artisan: carpenter, tradeable) - 1% success chance increase
    • Izzitedibilforpepl probe (Artisan: provisioner, tradeable) - 1% success chance increase
    Apprentice Blueprints 0.006 (60) 4s80c
    • Full spectrum goggles (no trade) - see invisibility
    • Spring loaded gnomish stilts (no trade) - superjump boots (like Fae glide)
    Apprentice Blueprints 0.007 (70) 19s20c
    • Goggles of the bats (no trade) - sonic vision
    • Miscalibrated lifestone (tinkering 75, tradeable) - health regen
    Apprentice Blueprints 0.008 (80) 19s20c
    • Spider on a string (tinkering 80, tradeable) - swarm pet
    • Iron snake basket (tinkering 85, tradeable) - swarm pet
    Apprentice Blueprints 0.009 (90) 19s20c
    • Gnomish diving goggles (no trade) - fish vision
    • Miscalibrated mana stone (tinkering 95, tradeable) - power regen
    Apprentice Blueprints 0.010 (100)19s20c
    • Gnomish net launcher (tinkering 105, tradeable) - 65% root chance
    • Loosely wired heart stopper (tinkering 100, tradeable) - 50% feign death chance
    • Refined troll snot flinger (tinkering 105, tradeable) - snare
    Apprentice Blueprints 0.011 (110) 19s20c
    • Gnomish anti camo goggles (no trade) - see stealth
    • Mist generator (tinkering 110, tradeable) - swarm pet
    • Noxious environmental suit (no class restrictions, tradeable) - converts noxious damage to 3% power gain
    Dabbler's Blueprints 0.001 (120) 19s20c
    • Elemental environmental suit (no class restrictions, tradeable) - converts elemental damage to 3% power gain
    • Frayed heart thingymabob (tinker 120, no trade) - clicky (5 charges) 25% chance to rez target
    Dabbler's Blueprints 0.002 (130) 19s20c
    • Arcane environmental suit (no class restrictions, tradeable) - converts arcane damage to 2% power gain
    • Gnomish parachute pack (no class restrictions, tradeable) - clicky (5 charges) - reduces max falling speed for 30s
    Dabbler's Blueprints 0.003 (140) 76s80c
    • Clockwork manservant (tinkering 145, tradeable) - clicky (5 charges) - swarm pet
    • Windup golden monkey (tinkering 140, tradeable) - clicky (5 charges) - swarm pet
    Dabbler's Blueprints 0.004 (150) 76s80c
    • Miscalibrated automated shears (no class restrictions, tradeable) - reduce gathering and foresting time by 1s
    • Rose colored goggles (no class restrictions, tradeable) - infravision
    Dabbler's Blueprints 0.005 (160) 76s80c
    • Automated gnomish plane (Artisan: Woodworker, tradeable) - increase success chance by 2%
    • Gnomish portable smokescreen (tinkering 160, tradeable) - clicking (5 charges), 99% chance stealth for 15m
    • Miscalibrated automated pickaxe (no class restrictions, tradeable) - increase mining by 10, reduce mining time by 1s
    • Miscalibrated automated watersafe net (no class restrictions, tradeable) - reduce fishing and trapping time by 1s
    Dabbler's Blueprints 0.006 (170) 76s80c
    • Gnomish level (Artisan: Carpenter, tradeable) - increase success chance by 2%
    • Gnomish thermometer (Artisan: Provisioner, tradeable) - increase success chance by 2%
    • Heart stopper (tinkering 175, no trade) - clicky (5 charges) 75% chance to feign death, 25% chance increase threat
    Dabbler's Blueprints 0.007 (180) 76s80c
    • Gnomerific magnifying device (Artisan: Jeweler, tradeable) - increase success chance by 2%
    • Gnomish quick erasealler (Artisan: Sage, tradeable) - increase success chance by 2%
    Dabbler's Blueprints 0.008 (190) 3g7s20c
    • Automated external defibrillator (tinkering 195, no trade) - clicky (5 charges) 50% chance to resurect target
    • Automated honing stone (Artisan: Weaponsmith, tradeable) - increase success chance by 2%
    • Gnomish gas mask (Artisan: Alchemist, tradeable) - increase success chance by 2%
    Dabbler's Blueprints 0.009 (200) 3g7s20c
    • Gnomeproof thumb cap (Artisan: Tailor, tradeable) - increase success chance by 2%
    • Gnomish toughened ring press (Artisan: Armorer, tradeable) - increase success chance by 2%
    • Portable chemistry set (Artisan: Any, tradeable) - clicky (5 charges) summon Chemistry Table for 5m
    Dabbler's Blueprints 0.010 (210) 3g7s20c
    • Jar of spiders (Tinkering 215, tradeable) - clicky (5 charges) swarm pet
    • Portable desk (Artisan: Any, tradeable) - clicky (5 charges) summon Engraved Desk for 5m
    • Portable forge (Artisan: Any, tradeable) - clicky (5 charges) summon Forge for 5m
    Experimenter's Blueprints 0.001 (220) 3g7s20c
    • Gnomish divining rod (Artisan: Any, tradeable) - clicky (5 charges) track selected harvestable resource
    • Portable cooking set (Artisan: Any, tradeable) - clicky (5 charges) summon Stove & Keg for 5m
    • Portable sewing table (Artisan: Any, tradeable) - clicky (5 charges) summon Sewing Table & Mannequin for 5m
    Experimenter's Blueprints 0.002 (230) 3g7s20c
    • Calibrated automatic pickaxe (no class restrictions, tradeable) - reduce mining time by 1.5s, increase mining by 15
    • Calibrated watersafe net (no class restrictions, tradeable) - reduce trapping and fishing time by 1.5s
    • Portable woodworking kit (Artisan: Any, tradeable) - clicky (5 charges) summon Woodworking Table for 5m
    • Portable workbench (Artisan: Any, tradeable) - clicky (5 charges) summon Work Bench for 5m
    Experimenter's Blueprints 0.003 (240) 3g7s20c
    • Calibrated automated shears (no class restrictions, tradeable) - reduces foresting and gathering time by 1.5s
    • Rebreather (no class restrictions, no trade) - allows caster to breath water
    Experimenter's Blueprints 0.004 (250) 4g60s80c
    • Gnomish gent's mechanized facade (no class restrictions, tradeable) - clicky (5 charges) makes you a clockwork for 30m
    Experimenter's Blueprints 0.005 (260) 4g60s80c
    • Gigglegibber's secret of death (tinkering 260, no trade) - clicky (5 charges) 99% chance to feign death for 3m
    • Overclocked gnomish crosstrainers (no class restrictions, tradeable) - 55% run speed for 30s, 50% chance of 12% heal
    Experimenter's Blueprints 0.006 (270) 4g60s80c
    • Go fasta pocket cyclone (tinkering 275, no trade) - clicky (5 charges) swarm pet
    Experimenter's Blueprints 0.007 (280) 4g60s80c
    • "Reliable" gnomish pacemaker (tinkering 285, no trade) - clicky (5 charges) 25% chance to resurrect (once) when killed for 2h
    • Mental projectormifcator (tinkering 280, no trade) - clicky (5 charges) 90% chance to charm for 3m, 10% chance to gain hate
    Experimenter's Blueprints 0.008 (290) 6g91s20c
    • Gnomish flotation device (no class restriction, no trade) - walk under water
    • Qeynos' Classified Information of Bulkward (Artisan: Armorer, tradeable) - increase success chance by 3%
    Experimenter's Blueprints 0.009 (300) 6g91s20c
    • Guide: roots. the fabric of life (Artisan: Tailor, tradeable) - increase success chance by 3%
    • Overclocked lifestone (tinkering 305, tradeable) - clicky (5 charges) 90% chance to increase health by 20%, 10% chance to decrease health by 12%
    Experimenter's Blueprints 0.010 (310) 6g91s20c
    • Freeport Classified Information of Armament (Artisan: Weaponsmith, tradeable) - increase success chance by 3%
    • Neverending bag of the good stuff (Artisan: Alchemist, tradeable) - increase success chance by 3%
    • Overclocked manastone (tinkering 310, tradeable) - clicky (5 charges) 90% chance of 20% power increase, 10% chance to decease power by 12%
    Master's Blueprints 0.001 (320) 6g91s20c
    • Enigma of Tunare (Artisan: Jeweler, tradeable) - increase success chance by 3%
    • Eye of Agamatoo (Artisan: Sage, tradeable) - increase success chance by 3%
    Master's Blueprints 0.002 (330) 6g91s20c
    • Overclocked automated pickaxe (no class restrictions, tradeable) - reduce mining time by 2.5s, increase mining by 20
    • Overclocked automated watersafe net (no class restrictions, tradeable) - reduce fishing and trapping time by 2.5s
    • Screewoggin's bag of spices (Artisan: Provisioner, tradeable) - increase success chance by 3%
    • Woodelf eye for the troll guy (Artisan: Carpenter, tradeable) - increase success chance by 3%
    Master's Blueprints 0.003 (340) 10g36s80c
    • Behavioural modificationator Stereopticon (Tinkering 345, no trade) - clicky "Sometimes they forget you, and other times they REALLY don't like this..."
    • Measure twicer (Artisan: Woodworker, tradeable) - increase success chance by 3%
    • Overclocked automated shears (Artisan Any, tradeable) - reduce gathering and foresting time by 2.5s
    Dropped books:
    (Not all are known yet, this list will be added to)
    Blueprint: Safety Recaller (280)
    • Gnomish Safety Recaller (requires 9 vanadium, you get 4 back if you make pristine)
    Blueprint: Hovering Device (310)
    • Overclocked Gnomish Hovering Device (requires 11 acrylia, you get 5 back if you make pristine)
    Blueprint: Reconstructor (350)
    • Mechanized Platinum Repository of Reconstruction

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    7
    Character
    Reloc
    Guild
    Server
    Unrest

    Default Re: Tinkering FAQ

    MMmm you think we could get a update to this post..

    it would really help.

    Thanks
    Reloc
    Pandaemonium
    Unrest

  4. #4
    Inq/Troub/SK/Illy
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    666
    Character
    Celos
    Guild
    Server
    Nagafen

    Default Re: Tinkering FAQ

    http://thedruidsgrove.org/eq2/forums...085#post121085

    It's pretty well put together if I do say so myself...

    I think I've posted it before on EQ2flames also, but I knew how to find it quickly on Ladred's Druid's Grove site.

    It could use updates for any thing added/changed in the game after October '07, and do feel free to edit/update it. If you do I wouldn't mind recognition, but it isn't required.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Sponsor Ads